Thursday 17 May 2012

A Necessary Deception by Laurie Alice Eakes

I read A Necessary Deception yesterday afternoon.  I enjoyed the book, of course, as I enjoy MOST books.  I did find it a little hard to follow.  This is the first book I have read by Laurie Alice Eakes and I have to say that I would definitely read more of her work.

A brief synopsis:  The book started with a widow woman helping a fellow out of jail.  Little does she know that he is a spy; or is he?  He suddenly shows up at her home, looking to be introduced to the upper echelon of society.  Begrudgingly she helps him and begins to fall for his handsome ways.  And he is totally smitten with her.  Danger is all around them and then upon them.  Will the two ever be free to express their feelings? Will a man be named traitor?  Will they even survive to tell the tale?  The intrigue builds.

I felt maybe I didn't give this book enough of my brain space.  I was looking for a quick easy read but this, for me, required me to take things a bit slower.  Would I recommend it?  Yes, actually, I would.  It had a plotline that kept me guessing and I really liked that aspect of it and I found the writing to be very well done.  The descriptions were good without being too flowery.  I found the one sister's role almost unnecessary except for the redeeming part where she dispenses some good advice.  Overall, I enjoyed it even though I think she could have cut out a character or two.  Since this is the beginning of a series, though, I'm guessing we'll be seeing more of these 'side characters' at a later date.  I would definitely continue the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment